Monday, November 10, 2008

Get Ready for the Rain

I just finished hanging out with my friend Chelsie.  I listened to her, she listened to me all while sitting at a small four person table in a sweet little coffee shop. And although there were only two seats occupied (by hineys at least, my green bag occupied another one), I absolutely know that in the vacant chair sat Jesus himself.  Paul says in Acts that it is "...in Him we live and move and have our being..." and I know that while Chelsie and I were sharing our lives -- the heart wrenching parts, the exciting parts, and the scary parts as well -- He was "living, moving, and being" through us and hanging there right with us. 
 
I loved listening to Chelsie tonight and the things God is calling and sometimes wrestling out of her.  My heart completely identified with how He is not allowing her to compromise or settle for good at the expense of His vision for her -- even when practicality is against her.  How encouraged I am when Jesus drops others in my path that are striving to live purposefully despite how foolish it appears to the rest of the world.  

I am convinced that freedom comes when God aligns our heart to His in such a way that moves us to forsake even the potentially good for His distinct call on our lives.  While not the easy path, it is a life of impact and one where we see God, we see his movement.  And then, as if seeing him is not enough, we become his movement.  

A God that uses us to be His movement, His relief.  When He never even needed me.  In these moments, Jesus looks up over his coffee mug at the table where I am currently sitting (I'm imagining him in worn jeans and a cool tee, maybe with a skateboard propped against the side of the chair or a guitar somewhere close) and He knowingly looks into my eyes and I am gracefully reminded that despite the unknowns, frustrations, and heartaches, it's worth it.  Life with my cool, skateboarding, guitar playing, relief bringing, relentlessly loving Jesus is so worth it. 

As Chelsie was about to leave a little while ago, she looked at me and said, "Sarah, the idea I keep hearing for you as I listen to you is get ready for the rain, just get ready for the rain.  I think He wants your field to be prepared for the harvest."  And although neither one of us knows all God intends with that truth, my heart bent in agreement.  I then watched Chelsie walk out the door of the coffee shop and within five minutes, the sky opened and it literally began to pour.  So I think I'm going to get ready for His rain :)

Let Him make you ready to be His movement.  It's the life of a fool but to me, it makes the best sense.  I just want to be an absolute sucker for the ridiculousness of Christ.  Praying that for you as well.  I mean, what if?  

Oh yeah, and this blog thing was an abrupt start for me (thanks Jourdan), so I obviously need some design help.  Advice welcome, especially the silly type.  Duh.




2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Good word Mullins. And I like the simplicity of the design - but hey, that's just me.

Chelsie said...

It just poured and poured all night didn't it friend. Oh, how I love the ways God confirms His ways for us.